User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Do you think the Beastie Boys are hot?

Do you think the Beastie Boys are hot?

Not only the Beastie Boys, but think of all old school rap. Think like KRS, Rakim, MC Lyte, EPMD, Old 80s and early 90s shit. Alot of these dudes were pivotal in the rap game, helped shape it into what it is today. What I'm getting at is, why do people think they're hot? This example is for the Beastie Boys specifically. So many people love them and admire their skills, theyve sold millions of albums and are international celebrities. But like, if you listen to them, and pictured three white jewish dudes trying to spit like that today, they would be ignored completely and thoroughly, and people would laugh in their face. Yet those same people turn around and bump the Beastie Boys and love that shit to death. Why is what was considered hot back then, and still is considered hot today, not what's considered hot today? If that makes sense. In other words, Beastie Boys music is timeless, people will still listen to it in the future. But if you gave it to a generic rap fan who liked Soulja Boy and Rick Ross and hadn't heard of the Beastie Boys, chances are good that they would brush it off and not give it a second thought. How come? Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Re: Do you think the Beastie Boys are hot?

I loves a lot of old shit but the Beastie's never did it for me. Then again I've only ever heard the singles, and those didnt prompt me to check any further. But old KRS, Kane, Rakim, Kool G, Lord Finesse, ect. is my shiiiiiit.
    [YOUTUBE]M6oovFB12i8[/YOUTUBE]

Alright, well working from that, if KRS One had never made it big, and instead chose now to start spitting, the same exact songs and lyrics, just 20 years later, would he be received the same way he was? Would he become as essential to hip hop as he has been?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No... because his old shit sounds dated now... But when it dropped it was a big step up from his predecessors and a different direction from his contemporaries. That like asking if Sabbath never dropped when it did, if it would still be considered heavy today.

I just saw a video game commercial for NBA2010 and they used "Don't Sweat The Technique". Victory.

Rock you in the Face Sir Skiddz SoPhrenic's Avatar
    Battle Record
    7-15

The Beasties are hot and I think music from their era is making a pretty big comeback. Ironically enough their shit doesnt even sound dated either except for some of Licenced to Ill.
    Hence Forward.. BURR!
    [YOUTUBE]seYxVBIsycE[/YOUTUBE]
    Just watch My Back, I got the front.

You've Earned a Custom Title!
    Battle Record
    3-6

Quote Originally Posted by KBomb View Post
    Not only the Beastie Boys, but think of all old school rap. Think like KRS, Rakim, MC Lyte, EPMD, Old 80s and early 90s shit. Alot of these dudes were pivotal in the rap game, helped shape it into what it is today. What I'm getting at is, why do people think they're hot? This example is for the Beastie Boys specifically. So many people love them and admire their skills, theyve sold millions of albums and are international celebrities. But like, if you listen to them, and pictured three white jewish dudes trying to spit like that today, they would be ignored completely and thoroughly, and people would laugh in their face. Yet those same people turn around and bump the Beastie Boys and love that shit to death. Why is what was considered hot back then, and still is considered hot today, not what's considered hot today? If that makes sense. In other words, Beastie Boys music is timeless, people will still listen to it in the future. But if you gave it to a generic rap fan who liked Soulja Boy and Rick Ross and hadn't heard of the Beastie Boys, chances are good that they would brush it off and not give it a second thought. How come? Thoughts?
    See at that time, the beasties were really more hot with suburban white kids while run dmc and kane mostly were played by ghetto strivin brothers. The Beastie Boys had their own fans, and they were new fans, that were like the Beastie Boys, white. Those who loved DMC and Kane at the time were also well versed in the Cold Crush Brothers, or DJ Kool Herc, Sha Rock artists of that nature who never ever got any play in suburban white america. Beastie Boys smashed down doors and walls for the genre and allowed their contemporaries to gain a stronger foothold in the marketplace by turning young white kids onto the form. I'm not trying to say that any fan of rap who is white ONLY liked rap because of the Beasties, because there were a lot of B-Boys rockin in NYC wayyyy before the Beasties. (check the film: WildStyle) Now, relating to today's culture and current hip hop scene.....Since Beasties first came out, there has been a whole transformation in the form and delivery of rap as a poetic art form. Lyricists have expanded their content, and added many intricate complexities that have advanced the form to it's current state. This alone is why someone who listens to Rick Ross might not feel older stuff. The beats are nicer and crisper, the lyrics are more vivid and visual. To someone who 'grew up' on that, it may be harder to listen to what amounts to a far simpler scheme than what is available to the listener's ear nowadays.

Battle Record
    7-1

i despise the beastie boys...fuck them and everything they've been through

No Sleep Till Brooklyn is dope.

Battle Record
    7-1

your mom is dope

Rock you in the Face Sir Skiddz SoPhrenic's Avatar
    Battle Record
    7-15

why do you hate the beasties so much
    Hence Forward.. BURR!
    [YOUTUBE]seYxVBIsycE[/YOUTUBE]
    Just watch My Back, I got the front.

My Doe Flip Like Tae-Kwon Menace II Society's Avatar

Cause they suck.

[YouTube]VTfrbU74TdE[/YouTube]