User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast
Showing results 46 to 60 of 61

Thread: Presidential Address..

Touch My Beard Extinctor Draconis's Avatar

Re: Presidential Address..

Quote Originally Posted by Opie M. View Post
    I'm a big fan of vinyl. I'm not a fan of recording all tracks to tape. Some stuff sounds good. Some stuff doesn't. I'm definitely not a fan of adding 3dB of noise per track to my mixes.
    noise is natural. when you remove noise, music becomes stagnant and sterile. I think the invention of digital recording was meant to ease the process of recording to tape. Track to tape, transfer to pt for editing. I'll take the 3dB of noise, with tape compression over digital 0 and digital clipping.

ironic that when digital came about, people stopped caring about the quality of recordings
    De Kapitein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Right... You're forgetting a case that you need,an optical drive, a Windows 7 license, that nice ass monitor, Thunderbolt, and the Apple keyboard and the magic trackpad. The monitor alone will put you over $1200. Not to mention, you're not integrating all this into your monitor, which is an added cost like buying a laptop. The Mac Mini with the same specs as the iMac is only $600. That's a much better comparison to make because it's just the computer. And even then, you're not building your PC into that tiny form factor.

There's no doubt you can build a computer for cheaper than you can buy one. That doesn't make a retail computer overpriced. Just like dinner at a restaurant isn't overpriced just because you can cook the same food at home for less. You're not comparing apples to apples. The fact is that other PC manufacturers can't produce the same electronics for the same price as Apple. That's why products like the MacBook Air, MacMini, iPad, iPod, and iPhone are killing it. Apple is using pricing that other manufacturers can't compete with, and they're still making more money per unit than anyone else.

Regardless, your $1000 less comment was ludicrous.
    actually that price includes a medium size case with 3 case fans, windows 7, and an optical drive(no blu ray though).

I never said pc manufacturers can compete with apple lol. I said I can build a pc to imac specs cheaper. I love my macbook, but all it's for is to do edits and rough mixes, plus surfing the interwebs. The pc is going to be for gaming, and, hopefully, programming .

Don't get me started on the mac book air.

Mac mini is dope. Was thinking of getting my mom one.
    De Kapitein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You've Earned a Custom Title!

yo to hell with obama, the democrats, the republicans and all mainstream political parties. they've sold all of the countries in the world to big business (and mainly big oil). france, the country i currently live in (i was born in canada but have french nationality as well), is currently killing innocent people in libya just to steal their oil and hope the people here on the continent will passively accept being raped by the überrich. i've stopped caring for political theatrics (speeches, rallies, debates, electoral campaigns etc etc) because the media is owned by said rich class and are helping them achieve their goals.

i don't know whose sig it was but someone on this thread had a mark twain quote i found very appropriate: "if you don't read the newspapers you're uninformed. if you do read them, you're misinformed".

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Presidential Address..

Quote Originally Posted by Spanje Hathaway View Post
    noise is natural. when you remove noise, music becomes stagnant and sterile. I think the invention of digital recording was meant to ease the process of recording to tape. Track to tape, transfer to pt for editing. I'll take the 3dB of noise, with tape compression over digital 0 and digital clipping.

ironic that when digital came about, people stopped caring about the quality of recordings
    Noise is natural. 72dB of noise over 24 tracks is ugly. I like drum tracks on tape. Some guitar. Not much else. Sounds that are noisy sound good on tape. Sounds that need natural compression sound good on tape. But a whole mix on tape sounds like static. For loud, dirty music like Smashing Pumpkins, that sounds great. For clean, spacious songs it sounds like crap.

People stopped caring about sound quality after MP3s.

Battle Record
    0-2

^^^^i feel the same....

when i had all my shit i had a reel to reel id use for certain sounds...

others i liked to handle digitally....

the best thing is to combine both...

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Presidential Address..

actually that price includes a medium size case with 3 case fans, windows 7, and an optical drive(no blu ray though).

I never said pc manufacturers can compete with apple lol. I said I can build a pc to imac specs cheaper. I love my macbook, but all it's for is to do edits and rough mixes, plus surfing the interwebs. The pc is going to be for gaming, and, hopefully, programming .

Don't get me started on the mac book air.

Mac mini is dope. Was thinking of getting my mom one.
    Actually, you said that you can build a PC with better specs than an iMac for $1000 less. And what you showed me is a computer that's $300 less and doesn't include about $600-$700 worth of parts that the iMac has. So, you're statement is grossly false. Your PC isn't even cheaper than the MacMini. Not to mention, I can get that iMac for almost $300 cheaper than retail anyway, don't have to build it myself and get great customer support with it and OSX instead of Windows. I'll take the Mac. But like I said, I could care less about PC gaming. If I want to play a game, I play it on a device that was designed for it. Your computer is better for the 1 thing that I would never use a PC for. So who cares? lol If you want to play PC games then sure... Build a PC. But don't pretend it's better because it has Call of Duty.

LMAO at having a problem with the MacBook Air. The envy of all other laptops. The benchmarks on that little thing are nuts.

Our MacMini powers our home theater. 7.1 surround sound, 110" Black Diamond screen with 3D projector, 6TB NAS drive filled with HD and 3D movies and TV shows. We use Plex on the Mac for the media management. It's also setup for AirPlay so we can throw content from our iPads and iPhones up on the screen. Everything is running on an Airport Extreme with AirPlay speaker setups through the house and by the pool so we can listen to audio from our iPhones or iPads wherever we are. Pretty amazing setup. I can't wait till iOS5 is officially supported so I can play my iPad games in wide screen on the projector. Gonna be sick. The AirPlay mirroring on iOS5 is already badass. But the full screen aspect ratio when watching videos or playing games thru 3rd party apps is kinda weak.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Presidential Address..

Quote Originally Posted by Boobs View Post
    ^^^^i feel the same....

when i had all my shit i had a reel to reel id use for certain sounds...

others i liked to handle digitally....

the best thing is to combine both...
    In school, they taught us the good and bad of tape and actually let us hear the differences with different sounds and mixes. They showed us how to leverage the great aspects of tape without dealing with too many of the negatives. Ever since then I've wanted a tape machine. They just take up too much room.

Battle Record
    7-1

Quote Originally Posted by opie m. View Post
    in school, they taught us the good and bad of tape and actually let us hear the differences with different sounds and mixes. They showed us how to leverage the great aspects of tape without dealing with too many of the negatives. Ever since then i've wanted a tape machine. they just take up too much room.
    o_o

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Presidential Address..

Quote Originally Posted by RXL View Post
    o_o

Battle Record
    7-1

didn't doubt you..

was just saying if someone eased up off the twinkys..you'd have more room for equipment..

ahem

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Presidential Address..

didn't doubt you..

was just saying if someone eased up off the twinkys..you'd have more room for equipment..

ahem
    Ha!

My studio space is 2 would be bedrooms in a house. One for control room and one for live room. There isn't even floor space in the control room for something like that... Even without room for my belly and twinky stash.

Noise is natural. 72dB of noise over 24 tracks is ugly. I like drum tracks on tape. Some guitar. Not much else. Sounds that are noisy sound good on tape. Sounds that need natural compression sound good on tape. But a whole mix on tape sounds like static. For loud, dirty music like Smashing Pumpkins, that sounds great. For clean, spacious songs it sounds like crap.

People stopped caring about sound quality after MP3s.
    [YOUTUBE]DuajHTR2_VE[/YOUTUBE]

most of the tracks are tracked to tape. not too much noise

even the cleaner jack white stuff is tracked to tape, and 1/2" at that
    De Kapitein

Battle Record
    7-1

Ha!

My studio space is 2 would be bedrooms in a house. One for control room and one for live room. There isn't even floor space in the control room for something like that... Even without room for my belly and twinky stash.
    lol@ the third room in the house being the twinky stash..

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Presidential Address..

[YOUTUBE]DuajHTR2_VE[/YOUTUBE]

most of the tracks are tracked to tape. not too much noise

even the cleaner jack white stuff is tracked to tape, and 1/2" at that
    The video has mobile viewing blocked. Sucks.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Presidential Address..

lol@ the third room in the house being the twinky stash..
    It's actually full of peanut butter Tasty Kakes and Berger Cookies. But you wouldn't know about that